While Google Meets sessions are critical to our ability to connect to students while working remotely, there are certain limitations based on security concerns that are NOT available to student, specifically the ability to create their OWN student meet sessions.
Since students can only join Meet sessions which have been created by TEACHERS, it is important that teachers remain aware of the following best practices when it comes to keeping your Google Meet sessions secure.
- When creating Google Meet sessions for students, always use Meet URL Link which you have created using your Google Classroom account. Other methods for creating video meetings (such as Google Calendar, http://meet.google.com…etc.) are less secure and should therefore, only be used when creating meetings with other teachers or staff members.
- If you are using (or have used) static meeting links to manage student breakout meeting rooms for your class, make sure that Quick Access settings for this meeting are turned OFF using the directions in the screenshot below. This should keep other students from being able to enter into this meeting space without your permission.
- Finally, pay attention to the Meeting Attendance Emails which you receive in your email. If you receive an email message for a Google Meet session which you don’t recognize, you should take immediate action to shut that session down by following the steps below.
- Identify the MEETING SESSION ID from the attendance email you have received (see below).
2. Go to https://meet.google.com/
3. Click on the option Join or Start a Meeting
4. Enter the meeting code which you have identified from step 1 above.
5. Since you are the meeting organizer, you should see a blue lock icon along the bottom of the page (see screenshot above). Click on the blue shield icon.
6. Turn off the “quick access” option. This will block any students from being able to into the meeting without asking for appropriate permissions.
Taking these precautions should help to keep our video network more secure but if you have any concerns or questions regarding these steps, please feel free to reach out to us at http://helpdesk.susd12.org